Thinking about a day out but the thought of summer parking making you groan? We've been trying some different days out for you:
The Cargreen train!
We caught the train from Gunnislake - easy free parking all day - and enjoyed the scenic journey that takes you opposite Cargreen and over the viaducts to Plymouth. We travelled through leafy green tunnels and high above Calstock, spotting old stations, birds and warships along the way. Arriving at Plymouth station it is just a 10-minute walk into the city centre where you can spend the day, whatever the weather, having fun. From the free exhibitions at The Box Museum to a lazy lunch on the Barbican, there's plenty to do! Tamar Valley line full description
Looe without the traffic!
We parked at Saltash - again, easy free parking all day - and sat back to enjoy the first part of the journey to Liskeard. No A38, instead spectacular views from viaducts over rivers and valleys. At Liskeard we slipped into a bygone age: visit the Heritage Centre before boarding the train to Looe. You can even download the free Looe Valley Line App to learn more about the history and things to see along the way. On arrival just a 5 minute walk takes you into the bustling seaside town of Looe. Fish & chips or ice cream anyone? Train to Looe full description
Sources of Information
- Train lines to explore in Devon & Cornwall: https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk
- Look up train times and railcards: https://www.gwr.com/your-tickets/
- Looe Valley Line heritage project: https://dcrp.org.uk/looe-valley-line-heritage-project/
- Download the Looe Valley Line app: https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/looe-valley-line-heritage-app/
- Combined bus & train tickets: https://www.transportforcornwall.co.uk
- Plan a journey by train & bus: http://www.travelinesw.com
16th July 2022